Last week I wrote about the ease and versatility of a basic white sauce. This recipe is a combination of the white sauce, cheese and vegetables. I have used broccoli and cauliflower, but you can use any vegetables you like. A nice accompaniment to meat when you want to add a little pizzazz to your vegetables.
1/2 quantity of white sauce
1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets
1/4 cauliflower, cut into florets
1/4 cup tasty cheese, grated plus extra for the top
1 tsp mustard
1 tsp or so of paprika
- To the basic white sauce add the cheese and mustard
- Steam broccoli and cauliflower until tender
- Place cauliflower and broccoli into baking dish. Pour over white sauce and stir to combine. At this point you can add as much or as little white as you like. I like just a little so the vegetables can still be tasted.
- Scatter some more grated cheese over the top and sprinkle with paprika. Bake in a moderately hot oven until warmed through and cheese is bubbling. Alternatively, place under the griller until the cheese is golden.
Have you read these posts?
- cauliflower soup
- roux the day: Basic white sauce
- whatever goes pasta
- toddler food–Easy cheesy pasta and vegetables
- balsamic roasted vegetables with quinoa