48 + Free Skirt Tutorials

A few weeks ago, I posted an article on making bags, which is an easy place to learn how to sew, but if you’re wanting to start sewing clothes, then a skirt is a nice and easy garment to start with. All of the skirt tutorials below don’t require commercial patterns, but are either pattern-less, or show you how to draw up your own easy patterns. Of course this way, the skirt fits perfectly.

I’ve scoured the web to bring together some great free skirt tutorials. I found so many wonderful skirt tutorials that it was hard to choose which to include. If in doubt, I added a link. I’ve tried to include a variety of styles, sewing techniques, difficulty levels and funky inspiration ideas so that mixing and matching from these tutorials means that you can make almost any type of skirt imaginable. There are a lot of skirts for young girls, but they can be just as easily be made for adults by changing the measurements or vice versa.

As usual, these tutorials are usually for personal use only, not commercial use, consult each individual website for details.

Sewing And Fitting Course eBooks

Discover a remarkable series of easy-to-follow sewing course books packed with sewing and fitting techniques that will take your sewing to a professional level in no time at all…and along the way save you a small fortune! Click here for more info.

Simple A-Line Skirts

1. 20 Minute Skirt

20minuteskirt

2. Fast and Cheap Skirt

fastandcheapskirt

3. 5 Minute Skirt

5minskirt

4. Skinny Skirt

skinnyskirt

This is actually a video but it gives a good idea of how to make it and looks really easy.

5. Bias Cut Skirt

biascutskirt

6. Gathered Skirt

gatheredskirt2

7. Simple short gathered skirt

short gathered skirt

8. A-Line with Ruffle

alinewithruffle

9. Ruffled Linen Skirt

ruffledlinenskirt

To draw up a pattern-less a-line skirt, check out this tutorial and this tutorial.

To make a skirt pattern with godets (little flared bits at the bottom, check out this tutorial.

Wrap Skirts

More on making pleats.

Circle Skirts

19. Tablecloth Circle Skirt

tableclothcircleskirt

20. Circle Skirt

circleskirt1

For info on a 1/2 circle skirt, click here.

21. Striped Skirt

OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA

Panelled Skirts

22. Simple Circle 6 Panel Skirt

panelcircleskirt

23. Fishtail skirt

fishtailskirt

Check out the same site for a pencil skirt and gored skirt or here for a gored skirt pattern, or here.

24. Two Colour Panel Skirt

twocolourskirt

Maternity Skirts

25. Maternity Skirt

maternityskirt

The author altered this pattern to turn it into a maternity skirt

26. Maternity A Line Skirt

maternityalineskirt

To draw up a pattern-less a-line skirt, check out this tutorial.

Recycled Skirts

27. Skirt from Man’s Button Down Shirt

shirtskirt

Download the tutorial as a PDF

28. Scrap Skirt

patchworkaline

Something a bit different

40. Bubble Skirt

bubbleskirt1

41. Lolita Ruffled Skirt

lolitaskirt

The black underskirt is a separate tutorial found here.

For a variation on the Lolita skirt see tutorials part one and part two here.

42. Full Gathered Skirt

fullgatheredskirt

43. Gypsy Skirt

gypsyskirt

44. Belly Dancing Skirt

bellydancingskirt

45. Eight Pointed Skirt

eightpointedskirt

46. Fairy Skirt

fairyskirt

47. Burlesque Bustle Skirt

burlesqueskirt

48. Victorian Skirt

victorianskirt

Know of a great skirt tutorial? Why not add it to the comments section below.

Category: crafts · Tags:

SAVE MONEY AND TIME ON THE GROCERIES

THE FRUGAL AND THRIVING WAY

Comments

24 Responses to “48 + Free Skirt Tutorials”
  1. Kim says:

Help! I was needing to make the Victorian bustle skirt before next weekend but the website that it links to is being “repaired” at the moment. Does anyone have a pattern for it or something like it??
    Cheers.

2. Satina says:

Wow. Can I just…I mean…I am speechless at how helpful this is. Wowowow. Thank you soooooo much for putting these all in place. I won’t have to go anywhere else. It’s absolutely divine. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

3. Fin says:

Hi, I love the maternity skirt in pic 25, but the link goes to a totally different skirt! Do you know what the actual link is? Thanks!

4. Melissa says:

Oops. Thanks Fin. I’ve fixed the link.

5. Fin says:

Thanks for fixing that link Melissa. I’m definitely going to make one of these!

6. Rebecca says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I was looking everywhere for a pattern or anything for a fishtail skirt but not a single one was right at all! I don’t think I would have found this one without your compilation, and its perfect!

7. Melissa says:

Glad it was useful. Thanks for leaving a comment.

8. Mummyzilla says:

Hi, I linked to your post, because it has so many cool skirts. You can find my post here http://mummyzilla.blogspot.com/2011/03/sewing-skirts.html

9. Melissa says:

Liz, if you’re out there, I hope you get to read this comment. I’ve tried replying to your email several times, and each time it bounces. So please don’t think I’ve ignored you, I’m trying to reach you!
    To answer your question, if you’re interesting in particular fabrics used in the tutorials for the skirts or bags, please contact the blog owners for each tutorial and they will be able to tell you about the fabric used.
    Thanks, hope you get this message.

10. carol says:

This is marvelous! As another said this is the only link I need for skirts:) thankyou for your effort-we appreciate it;)

11. Cate says:

Thanks so much for compiling a list of so many different types of skirts! I have a body shape that doesn’t like pants, so skirts are my friend. But the shapeless plus size skirts in stores are just awful, or so far out of my price range. Now with these patterns I can make my own at a low cost in whatever colour or fabric I like, and not needing one of those tissue paper patterns where I’d need to alter it several times to fit wide hips and rear with a smaller waistline. Thanks so much!

12. Anshu says:

Wow! Great list. I’m going to bookmark it and feature it one of my skirt sewing roundups on my blog here:

By the way, Here’re a few skirt tutorials I have written:

I hope you would like them and add them to your list.

Thanks,
    Anshu

13. Kai says:

I think this list of links is fantastic for a beginner like me trying to work out what sort of skirt I want to sew!

The other one I came accross that I love is space fm’s calculator for working out a simple skirt pattern starting from the amount of material you have. Save’s fabric wastage!

14. Cynthia says:

thanks for this informative, well researched post…until now I didn’t know the skirt I was looking for was “godet”

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] to discover that the tutorial for the gathered skirts was featured on an Australian site called Frugal and Thriving. They’ve collected a grand total of 48 skirt tutorials, which are well worth a [...]

2. [...] done a skirt roundup, and a top roundup, so I the next obvious step is pants. Now I just have to find the time to make [...]

3. [...] used one of the tutorials from the skirt tutorial roundup as a guide: a ruffled skirt. Obviously I changed the pattern – no ruffle on mine. And my skirt is [...]

4. Skirts | says:

[...] Frugal and Thriving.com has 48+ Free Skirt Tutorials that anyone can use to make great skirts for any occasion. I used an A-line skirt tutorial for this one, but it came out looking more like a straight skirt. Regardless of it’s shape, my daughter loves it!Rear ViewI just folded the fabric in half and used a piece of chalk to draw the pattern onto the fabric. Follow the tutorial link above for better instructions! The second skirt I made was so adorable. I used eight panels, shaped like long hour glass, minus the fat top. So if you can picture it, I cut a long rectangle, but the bottom flared out about two inches on each side. The front…and the full view…If you look closely, you will notice I also sewed a small tie onto the front for added fun! Again, check the tutorials above to create your own!! [...]

Comments