48 + Free Skirt Tutorials

48   Free Skirt Tutorials

[Post updated August 2014]

Skirts are an easy garment to start with if you’re learning to sew.

If you’re just starting out, you might be more confident  making bags, first.

All of the skirt tutorials below give step by step instructions. They don’t require commercial patterns and are either pattern-less or they show you how to draw up your own easy pattern.

That way, you skirt will fit you perfectly.

These skirts include a variety of styles, sewing techniques, difficulty levels and funky inspiration, so there’s something here for everyone.

Mix and match styles and techniques to make your own perfect style.

As usual, these tutorials are usually for personal use only, not commercial use, consult each individual website for details.

Simple A-Line Skirts

20 Minute Skirt from Grosgrain | Frugal and Thriving20 minute skirt @ Grosgrain Fast and Cheap Skirt from Polka Dot Cottage | Frugal and ThrivingFast and cheap skirt @ Polka Dot Cottage 5 minute skirt from angry chicken5 minute skirt @ Angry Chicken
Ruffled pencil skirt from Elizabeth Avenue | Frugal and ThrivingRuffled pencil skirt @ Elizabeth Avenue Bias cut skirt from Instructables | Frugal and ThrivingBias cut skirt @ Instructables Simple gathered skirt from the Eternal Magpie | Frugal and ThrivingSimple gathered skirt @ The Eternal Magpie
gathered skirt fromTuts+ | Frugal and ThrivingGathered skirt @ Tuts+ Ruffle skirt from Sew Mama Sew | Frugal and ThrivingRuffle skirt @ Sew Mama Sew Ruffle linen skirt from Amazing Mae | Frugal and ThrivingRuffled linen skirt @ Amazing Mae
6 gore skirt turorial from Mollytov | Frugal and Thriving6 gore skirt @ Mollytov draft a skirt with godets from The Sewing Divas | Frugal and ThrivingDraft a godet skirt @ The Sewing Divas Easy Maxy skirt from Big Boo Little Boo | Frugal and ThrivingEasy maxi skirt @ Big Boo Little Boo

Wrap Skirts

Reversible Wrap Skirt from Makezine | Frugal and ThrivingReversible wrap skirt @ Makezine wrap skirt from Cut out and Keep | Frugal and ThrivingWrap around skirt @ Cut out and Keep Wrap skirt pattern drafting from Sew Mama Sew | Frugal and ThrivingWrap skirt pattern drafting @ Sew Mama Sew
Layered Wrap Skirt from Craftster | Frugal and ThrivingLayered wrap skirt @ Craftster Layered wrap skirt from Sew a Straight Line | Frugal and ThrivingDomesticated skirt @ Sew a Straight LIne Full Coverage Wrap Skirt from Melissa Esplin | Frugal and ThrivingFull coverage wrap skirt @ Melissa Esplin

Peasant Skirts

Peasant Skirt from Joanne Creative | Frugal and ThrivingColoured peasant skirt @ Joanne Creative Peasant Skirt from Be Sew Stylish | Frugal and ThrivingPeasant skirt @ Be Sew Stylish Summer Swing Skirt from Moda Bakeshop | Frugal and ThrivingSummer swing skirt @ Moda Bakeshop
Petticoat skirt from The Anti CraftThe petticoat skirt @ The Anti Craft Tiered peasant skirt from Totally Stichen' | Frugal and ThrivngTiered peasant skirt from Totally Stichin’ Patchy tiered skirt from The Imaginary WorldsPatchy tiered skirt @ The Imaginary Worlds

Pleated Skirts

Box pleat skirt from Made by Me and Shared with You | Frugal and ThrivingBox pleat skirt @ Made by Me and Shared with You Pleated Chevron Skirt from Sewing in No Mans Land | Frugal and ThrivingPleated Chevron Skirt @ Sewing in No Man’s Land Guilded skirt from Elle Apparel | Frugal and ThrivingGuilded skirt @ Elle Apparel

Circle Skirts

Tablecloth circle skirt from Wipster | Frugal and ThrivingTablecloth circle skirt @ Wipster Easy circle skirt from Merricks Art | Frugal and ThrivingEasy circle skirt @ Merricks Art Striped circle skirt from Craftster | Frugal and ThrivingStriped circle skirt @ Craftster

Panelled Skirts

Panel Circle skirt from Better Homes and Gardens | Frugal and ThrivingPanel circle skirt @ Better Homes and Gardens Fishtail skirt from Katafalk | Frugal and ThrivingFishtail skirt @ Katafalk 2 colour twirly skirt from Craft Stylish | Frugal and ThrivingTwo coloured t-shirt twirly skirt @ Craft Stylish

Maternity Skirts

Maternity Skirt from Boulevard Designs | Frugal and ThrivingMaternity skirt @ Boulevard Designs
(altered this pattern)
Maternity skirt from See Mommy Sew | Frugal and ThrivingMaternity skirt @ See Mommy Sew Maternity skirt from Jeans and t-shirt from Homemade by Jill | Frugal and ThrivingMaternity skirt from jeans and a t-shirt @ Homemade by Jill

Recycled Skirts

Mans shirt skirt from Recycled Lovelies | Frugal and ThrivingMan’s shirt skirt @ Recycled Lovelies Scrap skirt from Craft Stylish | Frugal and ThrivingScrap skirt @ Crafty Stylish Tablecloth skirt from V and Co. | Frugal and ThrivingTablecloth skirt @ V and Co.
Denim maxi skirt from Trinkets in Bloom | Frugal and ThrivingRecycled denim maxi skirt @ Trinkets in Bloom T-shirt to skirt from Out of Order Design | Frugal and ThrivingT-shirt to skirt @ Out of Order Design Repurposed skirt from Art Gallery Fabrics | Frugal and ThrivingRepurposed skirt @ Art Gallery Fabrics

Girl’s Skirts

Twirly Skirt from House on Hill Road | Frugal and ThrivingTwirly skirt @ House on Hill Road Stripework skirt from Mother Ginger Mama | Frugal and ThrivingStripework skirt @ Mother Ginger Mama Charm skirt from The Merry Church Mouse | Frugal and ThrivingCharm skirt @ The Merry Church Mouse
Twirly Skirt from 7 Layer Studio | Frugal and ThrivingTwirly skirt @ 7 Layer Studio Ruffle Skirt from Grand Revival Designs | Frugal and ThrivingRuffle skirt @ Grand Revival Designs Layered Princess Skirt from Karlene's WorkshopLayered princess skirt @ Karlene’s Workshop
Circle skirt from Made | Frugal and ThrivingCircle skirt @ Made Jeans to twirly skirt from Shelly Made | Frugal and ThrivingJeans to twirly skirt @ Shelly Made 30 minute skirt from old t-shirt from Monkey see Monkey Do | Frugal and Thriving30 minute skirt from old T-shirt @ Monkey See Monkey Do

Something a bit different

Bubble skirt refashion from Ruffles and Stuff | Frugal and ThrivingBubble skirt refashion @ Ruffles and Stuff Lolita skirt from Dark Muse | Frugal and ThrivingLolita skirt @ Dark Muse Full Gathered Skirt from Gerties Blog | Frugal and ThrivingFull gathered skirt @ Gertie’s Blog
Gypsy skirt from Craftster | Frugal and ThrivingGypsy Skirt @ Craftster Belly Dancing Skirt from Wonder How To | Frugal and ThrivingBelly Dancing skirt @ Wonder How To Eight pointed star skirt from Life on the Run | Frugal and ThrivingEight point star skirt @ Life on the Run
Fairy skirt from Karlene's workshop | Frugal and ThrivingFairy skirt @ Karlene’s Workshop Burlesque skirt from Cut out and Keep | Frugal and ThrivingBurlesque bustle skirt @ Cut Out and Keep Victorian skirt from Steampunk Fashion | Frugal and ThrivingVictorian skirt @ Steampunk Fashion
Elsa skirt from Angela Clayton's Creations | Frugal and ThrivingElsa Skirt @ Angela Clayton’s Creations Tulle skirt from Maria Just Do It | Frugal and ThrivingTulle skirt @ Maria Just Do It Easy bustle skirt from Fabric.com | Frugal and ThrivingEasy bustle skirt from Fabric.com

Category: tutorials · Tags:

SAVE MONEY AND TIME ON THE GROCERIES

THE FRUGAL AND THRIVING WAY

Comments

27 Responses to “48 + Free Skirt Tutorials”
  1. Kim says:

Help! I was needing to make the Victorian bustle skirt before next weekend but the website that it links to is being “repaired” at the moment. Does anyone have a pattern for it or something like it??
    Cheers.

2. Satina says:

Wow. Can I just…I mean…I am speechless at how helpful this is. Wowowow. Thank you soooooo much for putting these all in place. I won’t have to go anywhere else. It’s absolutely divine. Thankyouthankyouthankyou.

3. Fin says:

Hi, I love the maternity skirt in pic 25, but the link goes to a totally different skirt! Do you know what the actual link is? Thanks!

4. Melissa says:

Oops. Thanks Fin. I’ve fixed the link.

5. Fin says:

Thanks for fixing that link Melissa. I’m definitely going to make one of these!

6. Rebecca says:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
    I was looking everywhere for a pattern or anything for a fishtail skirt but not a single one was right at all! I don’t think I would have found this one without your compilation, and its perfect!

7. Melissa says:

Glad it was useful. Thanks for leaving a comment.

8. Mummyzilla says:

Hi, I linked to your post, because it has so many cool skirts. You can find my post here http://mummyzilla.blogspot.com/2011/03/sewing-skirts.html

9. Melissa says:

Liz, if you’re out there, I hope you get to read this comment. I’ve tried replying to your email several times, and each time it bounces. So please don’t think I’ve ignored you, I’m trying to reach you!
    To answer your question, if you’re interesting in particular fabrics used in the tutorials for the skirts or bags, please contact the blog owners for each tutorial and they will be able to tell you about the fabric used.
    Thanks, hope you get this message.

10. carol says:

This is marvelous! As another said this is the only link I need for skirts:) thankyou for your effort-we appreciate it;)

11. Cate says:

Thanks so much for compiling a list of so many different types of skirts! I have a body shape that doesn’t like pants, so skirts are my friend. But the shapeless plus size skirts in stores are just awful, or so far out of my price range. Now with these patterns I can make my own at a low cost in whatever colour or fabric I like, and not needing one of those tissue paper patterns where I’d need to alter it several times to fit wide hips and rear with a smaller waistline. Thanks so much!

12. Anshu says:

Wow! Great list. I’m going to bookmark it and feature it one of my skirt sewing roundups on my blog here:

By the way, Here’re a few skirt tutorials I have written:

I hope you would like them and add them to your list.

Thanks,
    Anshu

13. Kai says:

I think this list of links is fantastic for a beginner like me trying to work out what sort of skirt I want to sew!

The other one I came accross that I love is space fm’s calculator for working out a simple skirt pattern starting from the amount of material you have. Save’s fabric wastage!

14. Cynthia says:

thanks for this informative, well researched post…until now I didn’t know the skirt I was looking for was “godet”

15. Nell says:

Wow! Some great skirts! Cannot wait to get a chance to make one!

Number 44 says it is a link to make a belly dancing skirt but goes to a cos-play skirt tutorial…

16. rave ksilone says:

hello, the link for the peasant skirt is not working. does anyone now that
    ? alisa burke has a nice tutorial for a skirt in her blog

17. Elizabeth says:

Thanks for sharing my skirt tutorial! Such a great round up from across the web. I’ll definitely be keeping this for future reference!

xoxo, Elizabeth

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] to discover that the tutorial for the gathered skirts was featured on an Australian site called Frugal and Thriving. They’ve collected a grand total of 48 skirt tutorials, which are well worth a [...]

2. [...] done a skirt roundup, and a top roundup, so I the next obvious step is pants. Now I just have to find the time to make [...]

3. [...] used one of the tutorials from the skirt tutorial roundup as a guide: a ruffled skirt. Obviously I changed the pattern – no ruffle on mine. And my skirt is [...]

4. Skirts | says:

[...] Frugal and Thriving.com has 48+ Free Skirt Tutorials that anyone can use to make great skirts for any occasion. I used an A-line skirt tutorial for this one, but it came out looking more like a straight skirt. Regardless of it’s shape, my daughter loves it!Rear ViewI just folded the fabric in half and used a piece of chalk to draw the pattern onto the fabric. Follow the tutorial link above for better instructions! The second skirt I made was so adorable. I used eight panels, shaped like long hour glass, minus the fat top. So if you can picture it, I cut a long rectangle, but the bottom flared out about two inches on each side. The front…and the full view…If you look closely, you will notice I also sewed a small tie onto the front for added fun! Again, check the tutorials above to create your own!! [...]

Comments