45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials

45 awesome free bag tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingThis post has been updated – broken links have been replaced with new awesome bag making tutorials. You can get even more bag tutorials in the follow-up post here.

When I first wrote this article, I wrote that I wasn’t much of a sewer.

Since then, I’ve made quite a few bags from these tutorials. The pictures on the right are some of the bags that I’ve sewn myself.

That’s the beauty of online tutorials. They not only make great end products (and great gifts), it’s also a great way to learn to sew. Tutorials take you through the process step-by-step.

“I’m not much of a sewer, but I’m trying. I made a bag recently and have gone a little bit bag crazy. Making a bag is a great way to learn how to sew.”

There are quite a few sewing and construction techniques in these tutorials that will come in handy when you make other projects, or that could be easily combined to create your own custom bag design.

Some authors ask that you don’t use their patterns and tutorials to make bags for commercial purposes, so check out their site for copyright details.

Sling bag Tutorial from Crap I've Made | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving Sling bag tutorial @ Crap I’ve Made Reversible Beach Bag Tutorial from Very Purple Person | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving Reversible Beach Bag @ Very Purple Person Origami bag tutorial from The Craft Mommy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingOrigami bag @ The Crafty Mummy
Quilted Tote from PS I Quilt | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingQuilted tote @ PS I Quilt Millie Tote Purse from PS I Quilt | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingMillie tote bag @ Sig Creations Box Bag Tutorial from Dragon {Knit} Fly | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingBox bag @ Dragon [Knit] Fly
Tote Bag from Kerri Made | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingTote bag @ Kerri Made and Part 2 Recessed Zipper Shoulder Bag from Projects by Jane | 45 Aweseome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingRecessed zipper shoulder bag @ Projects By Jane Laptop Bag from Randomness by Petchy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingLaptop bag @ Randomness by Petchy
Easy Nappy / Diaper Bag from Sew Christine | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingEasy nappy / diaper bag @ Sew Christine Hip Mamma Nappy / Diaper Bag from A Mingled Yarn | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingHip Mamma nappy / diaper bag @ A Mingled Yarn Angela's Diaper {Nappy} Bag from Moda Bake Shop | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingAngela’s diaper (nappy) bag @ Moda Bake Shop
Drawstring bag from Between the Lines | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials  | Frugal and ThrivingDrawstring bag @ Between the Lines Square Bag Tutorial from Ahhh Designs | 45 Awsome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingSquare bag @ Ahhh Designs Basic Messenger Bag from MMM Crafts | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingBasic messenger bag @ MMM Crafts
No Sew Grocery Bag from Saving with Shellie | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingNo sew grocery bag @ Saving with Shellie Poochie Bag from The Happy Zombie | 45 Aweseome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingThe poochie bag @ The Happy Zombie Envelope Make Up Bag from Up The Rainbow Creek | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingEnvelope makeup bag @ Up the Rainbow Creek
Beach Bag Tutorial from Film in the Fridge | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingSummer beach bag @ Film in the Fridge Lined Grocery Bag from Craftster | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingLined grocery bag with pocket @ Craftster Scrappy Shopping Bag from Pezzedimondo | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingScrappy shopping bag @ Pezzedimondo
Lined and Zippered Pouch From Flossie Tea Cakes | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingLined and zippered pouch @ Flossie Tea Cakes Diana Hobo Bag from Think Liz | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingDiana hobo bag @ Think Liz Crochet Straw Beach Bag Tutorial from Craft Passion | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingCrocheted straw beach bag @ Craft Passion
Shoulder Bag from Tiny Happy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingShoulder bag @ Tiny Happy Traveller Bag from Eloisa Docton | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingTraveller bag @ Eloisa Docton Simple Backpack tutorial from Confessions of a Sewsiopath | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingSimple backpack @ Confessions of a Sewciopath
Little Boxy Pouch Tutorial from Three Bears | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingLittle boxy pouch @ Three Bears Pyramid Purse by Color me Pretty by Nadia | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingPyramid purse @ Color me Pretty by Nadia Backpack from Hello Beautiful | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingBackpack @ Hello Beautiful
Basket Bag from Tall Poppy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingBasket bag @ Tall Poppy Lindie Bag from Craft AppleThe Lindie bag @ Craft Apple Bag with removable pouch from BHG | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingBag with removable pouch @ BHG
D Ring Bag From Cut out and Keep | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingD Ring bag @ Cut Out and Keep Monk bag from Purlbee | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingMonk bag @ Purl Bee Lined Box Pouch from Make it Modern | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingLined box pouch @ Make it Modern
Slouch Bag Tutorial from Random Charm | 45 Awesome Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingSlouch bag @ Random Charm Basic Purse from Creative Little Daisy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingBasic purse @ Creative Little Daisy Mini Shoulder Bag from Sewing Secrets | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingMini shoulder bag @ Sewing Secrets
Easy Lined Tote from Not So Fancy Nancy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frual and ThrivingEasy lined tote @ Not So Fancy Nancy Ruffled Tote from Weekend Designer | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingRuffled tote @ Weekend Designer Sophisticated Tote Bag from JCaroline Creative | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingSophisticated tote bag @ Pattern Pile
Art purse from New Green Mama | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingArt bag @ New Green Mama Purse with pocket from Thimbleanna | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingPurse with licence pocket @ Thimbleanna Bag from Shorts from Bethsco Blog | 45 Awesome Free  Bag Tutorials | Frugal and ThrivingBag from shorts @ Bethsco Blog

Category: crafts · Tags: ,

SAVE MONEY AND TIME ON THE GROCERIES

THE FRUGAL AND THRIVING WAY

Comments

51 Responses to “45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials”
  1. Daphna says:

I was checking something on google and found out that my bag tutorial (The Eternal Beauty bag) is mentioned here. I just wanted to say thanks for including it. It’s my first tutorial so I’m glad it got included!

Daphna – Januar Designs

2. doni says:

Hey, thanks for the mention of my makeup bag tutorial! If you love bag tutorials you can also check out my “charm pack rag quilt bag. I think it is pretty popular and one of my better tutorials. Nice blog!

3. Grazia says:

Thank you for mentioning my scrappy bag tutorial!
    Ciao from Rome, Italy! :)
    Grazia

4. Teresa says:

I would pay if they were under $5.00, but not $10.00.
    Cute bags though.

5. Great List i am always looking for great tutorials check out my page of tutorials..

I will be linking :)

6. Sadie says:

Hi Mel, awesome site! I am so-o-o glad i have subscribed to your posts.

About the poll though, 10 USD are like 500 in the currency where I’m at and I can buy almost 10 cool bags in that.. rip them up and make patterns out of them for using for myself… so would I pay $10.. uhm.. no! :D

7. Jane says:

Thanks for posting this wonderful list of bag tutorials. I am new to sewing and am having a great time trying out these fun tutorials!

8. Kirsten says:

New to sewing and hoping to try something these out.

9. claire gale says:

thanks so much for all the great tutorials…..hmmm now deciding which one to make :)

10. Melissa says:

Hi Claire, thanks for leaving a comment. Yeah, there’s lots of good ones, I’ve made a few now.

11. cristina says:

amazing stuff , really thank you very much on sharing this with us

12. Kelli says:

What does it mean where the name of the bag is crossed out?

I really love finding round up posts for things I haven’t started doing yet but want to. I have LOTS of old tshirts that I want to turn into bags so this will almost certainly be a jumping off point for me, when I get into sewing!
    Thanks!

• Melissa says:

Hi Kelli,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately as this post is over a year old now, the crossed out name means the link is broken because the website no longer exists or it has been changed. I will update the post sometime in the future, time permitting.

13. Really great to see these bags, I’ll give it a try! Thanks!

14. Lauren says:

these bags are so nice! going to try them! however for many of the links, not just the crossed out ones, says that it was removed.

• Melissa says:

Thanks Lauren, I will have to look into that. It’s an old article, many of these websites will have been shut down, so maybe time for a new one with new links!

15. Tamara says:

Hi, this is a GREAT resource. I am a new sewer and definitely appreciate your taking the time to post this info. Have a beautiful day. Tamara :)

16. Damie says:

I LOVE the envelope make up bad. I was about to buy one this weekend but now I think I’ll make it :]

17. Melissa says:

Good luck with the make up bag Damie!

18. roslyn says:

I need to know how to do as sew margaret bag. I still have patterns but no directions tht I need to know abt it. Pls let me know abt it. Thank you roslyn

19. Ellen says:

All the bags are just beatuiful and thank U so much for sharing this with us who needs a lot of help trying to learn to sew on the internet! I have also Pinterest this.

20. Melissa says:

Thanks Ellen! Ah Pinterest, I spend too much time on Pinterest :)

I hope your sewing adventures go well. As a beginner myself, I find bags are a great project to sew. Very satisfying.

21. Jobless Girl says:

Ruffled Tote Bag looks so special

22. Ramya says:

This is just such a neat collection..you sure must have put some time in for this… will try to make atleast a couple of these adorable bags…

23. Judit Balint says:

I am always looking for new ideas for my next projects. I found the bag projects posted here very interesting and I am going to use one right away!Very cute and practical! Thank you very much for sharing.

24. Don says:

Greetings from South Africa, I am a 54 year old male who enjoys to sew. I have created my own version of the “shopping bag” simply because I HATE plastic bags.

I am certainly going to try and create some of your bags the instructions are clear and simple.

I have found your blog most helpful indeed.

Best regards.

25. Mairead says:

Whoa, perfect! I was looking for project bag ideas and ways to use up (okay, I lie — for excuses to buy) fat quarters. Thanks so much for doing all the legwork. This must have been a pain to compile, but what an awesome resource.

(And as a bonus, I have a new blog to read while pretending to work tomorrow! Sweet!)

26. karen guest says:

i would like the pattern to the AVA bag. I clicked on it and i got a blank page.

27. karen guest says:

wrong…i meant the JENNY bag! I have been looking at tooo many sites.

• Melissa says:

I’ve had a look and from what I can see the tutorial has been moved. I’m afraid I have no control over other sites – I recommend that you contact the owner of the blog Lola…again.

28. Regina says:

Hi there..just want to say thanks! I’m enjoying this.
    Just a tip..the Oragami purse (when you click- it’s nothing but spam)
    Regards:)

Trackbacks

Check out what others are saying...
  1. [...] Frugal and Thriving scoured the internets and found 45 of some of the best diy bag tutorials out there. Choose from big bags and little bags, grocery store bags and cosmetic bags and everything in between. Some of my favs….the reversible beach bag pictured above and the little boxy pouch below, which is just too cute! See the other 43 offerings here.  [...]

2. [...] 45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials [...]

3. [...] found the pattern for this bag when writing the bag roundup and you can find the pattern here. I used an old sheet that was already in the rag bag, I just cut [...]

4. [...] 45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials | frugalandthriving.com.au [...]

5. [...] 45 Awesome Free Bag-making Tutorials [...]

6. [...] far the most popular article is 45 Awesome Bag Tutorials (thanks to Stumble Upon – I’m all for social media [...]

7. [...] Lots of them. It’s been nearly two years since I did the last bag roundup and a few of the links have gone dead. It seems that making bags is really popular, so here are a [...]

8. [...] 45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials | frugalandthriving.com.au – StumbleUpon Total beginners drawstring bag, but a functional bag for any skill level. Makes a great gift bag. Can also be lined. Ultimate nappy bag made using a quilter’s charm pack and layer pack. [...]

9. [...] I’m kicking off a new type of article for Frugal and Thriving – I’ve been around the web and back again to compile some of the best free online tutorials and resources for a given category – today: making bags. Both the title and the picture are links to the tutorial. 45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials | frugalandthriving.com.au [...]

10. Sewing 101 says:

[...] pincushion, cushion cover, apron, simple elasticised skirt, shirred dress, a bunting and how about this list of 45 bag tutorials! There are so many free resources on the net it’s a great place to start. [...]

Comments