45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials

45 awesome free bag tutorials

Craftsy

Note: This post has been updated June 2014– broken links have been replaced with new awesome bag making tutorials. You can get even more bag tutorials in the follow-up post here.

When I first wrote this article, I wrote that I wasn’t much of a sewer.

Since then, I’ve made quite a few bags from these tutorials. Thanks to the brilliant work of those who wrote these tutorials, my sewing skills have gone from beginner to intermediate.

That’s the beauty of online tutorials. They not only make great end products (and great gifts), it’s also a great way to learn to sew. Tutorials take you through the process step-by-step.

“I’m not much of a sewer, but I’m trying. I made a bag recently and have gone a little bit bag crazy. Making a bag is a great way to learn how to sew.”

There are quite a few sewing and construction techniques in these tutorials that will come in handy when you make other projects, or that could be easily combined to create your own custom bag design.

Some authors ask that you don’t use their patterns and tutorials to make bags for commercial purposes, so check out their site for copyright details.

Sling bag Tutorial from Crap I've Made | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Sling bag tutorial @ Crap I’ve Made

Reversible Beach Bag Tutorial from Very Purple Person | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Reversible Beach Bag @ Very Purple Person

Origami bag tutorial from The Craft Mommy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Origami bag @ The Crafty Mummy

Quilted Tote from PS I Quilt | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Quilted tote @ PS I Quilt

Millie Tote Purse from PS I Quilt | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Millie tote bag @ Sig Creations

Box Bag Tutorial from Dragon {Knit} Fly | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Box bag @ Dragon [Knit] Fly

Tote Bag from Kerri Made | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Tote bag @ Kerri Made and Part 2

Recessed Zipper Shoulder Bag from Projects by Jane | 45 Aweseome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Recessed zipper shoulder bag @ Projects By Jane

Laptop Bag from Randomness by Petchy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Laptop bag @ Randomness by Petchy

Easy Nappy / Diaper Bag from Sew Christine | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Easy nappy / diaper bag @ Sew Christine

Hip Mamma Nappy / Diaper Bag from A Mingled Yarn | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Hip Mamma nappy / diaper bag @ A Mingled Yarn

Angela's Diaper {Nappy} Bag from Moda Bake Shop | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Angela’s diaper (nappy) bag @ Moda Bake Shop

Drawstring bag from Between the Lines | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials  | Frugal and Thriving

Drawstring bag @ Between the Lines

Square Bag Tutorial from Ahhh Designs | 45 Awsome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Square bag @ Ahhh Designs

Basic Messenger Bag from MMM Crafts | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Basic messenger bag @ MMM Crafts

No Sew Grocery Bag from Saving with Shellie | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

No sew grocery bag @ Saving with Shellie

Poochie Bag from The Happy Zombie | 45 Aweseome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

The poochie bag @ The Happy Zombie

Envelope Make Up Bag from Up The Rainbow Creek | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Envelope makeup bag @ Up the Rainbow Creek

Beach Bag Tutorial from Film in the Fridge | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Summer beach bag @ Film in the Fridge

Lined Grocery Bag from Craftster | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Lined grocery bag with pocket @ Craftster

Scrappy Shopping Bag from Pezzedimondo | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Scrappy shopping bag @ Pezzedimondo

Lined and Zippered Pouch From Flossie Tea Cakes | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Lined and zippered pouch @ Flossie Tea Cakes

Diana Hobo Bag from Think Liz | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Diana hobo bag @ Think Liz

Crochet Straw Beach Bag Tutorial from Craft Passion | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Crocheted straw beach bag @ Craft Passion

Shoulder Bag from Tiny Happy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Shoulder bag @ Tiny Happy

Traveler Bag from Eloisa Docton | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Traveler bag @ Eloisa Docton

Simple Backpack tutorial from Confessions of a Sewsiopath | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Simple backpack @ Confessions of a Sewciopath

Little Boxy Pouch Tutorial from Three Bears | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Little boxy pouch @ Three Bears

Pyramid Purse by Color me Pretty by Nadia | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Pyramid purse @ Color me Pretty by Nadia

Backpack from Hello Beautiful | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Backpack @ Hello Beautiful

Basket Bag from Tall Poppy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Basket bag @ Tall Poppy

Lindie Bag from Craft Apple

The Lindie bag @ Craft Apple

Bag with removable pouch from BHG | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Bag with removable pouch @ BHG

D Ring Bag From Cut out and Keep | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

D Ring bag @ Cut Out and Keep

Monk bag from Purlbee | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Monk bag @ Purl Bee

Lined Box Pouch from Make it Modern | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Lined box pouch @ Make it Modern

Slouch Bag Tutorial from Random Charm | 45 Awesome Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Slouch bag @ Random Charm

Basic Purse from Creative Little Daisy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Basic purse @ Creative Little Daisy

Mini Shoulder Bag from Sewing Secrets | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Mini shoulder bag @ Sewing Secrets

Easy Lined Tote from Not So Fancy Nancy | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frual and Thriving

Easy lined tote @ Not So Fancy Nancy

Ruffled Tote from Weekend Designer | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Ruffled tote @ Weekend Designer

Sophisticated Tote Bag from JCaroline Creative | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Sophisticated tote bag @ Pattern Pile

Art purse from New Green Mama | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Art bag @ New Green Mama

Purse with pocket from Thimbleanna | 45 Awesome Free Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Purse with licence pocket @ Thimbleanna

Bag from Shorts from Bethsco Blog | 45 Awesome Free  Bag Tutorials | Frugal and Thriving

Bag from shorts @ Bethsco Blog

45 awesome free bag tutorials

Design your own handbag

Subscribe to the Frugal and Thriving Newsletter

Comments

1. says

I was checking something on google and found out that my bag tutorial (The Eternal Beauty bag) is mentioned here. I just wanted to say thanks for including it. It’s my first tutorial so I’m glad it got included!

Daphna – Januar Designs

2. says

Hey, thanks for the mention of my makeup bag tutorial! If you love bag tutorials you can also check out my “charm pack rag quilt bag. I think it is pretty popular and one of my better tutorials. Nice blog!

3. Sadie says

Hi Mel, awesome site! I am so-o-o glad i have subscribed to your posts.

About the poll though, 10 USD are like 500 in the currency where I’m at and I can buy almost 10 cool bags in that.. rip them up and make patterns out of them for using for myself… so would I pay $10.. uhm.. no! :D

4. Jane says

Thanks for posting this wonderful list of bag tutorials. I am new to sewing and am having a great time trying out these fun tutorials!

5. Kelli says

What does it mean where the name of the bag is crossed out?

I really love finding round up posts for things I haven’t started doing yet but want to. I have LOTS of old tshirts that I want to turn into bags so this will almost certainly be a jumping off point for me, when I get into sewing!
    Thanks!

• says

Hi Kelli,

Thanks for your comment. Unfortunately as this post is over a year old now, the crossed out name means the link is broken because the website no longer exists or it has been changed. I will update the post sometime in the future, time permitting.

6. Lauren says

these bags are so nice! going to try them! however for many of the links, not just the crossed out ones, says that it was removed.

• says

Thanks Lauren, I will have to look into that. It’s an old article, many of these websites will have been shut down, so maybe time for a new one with new links!

7. says

Hi, this is a GREAT resource. I am a new sewer and definitely appreciate your taking the time to post this info. Have a beautiful day. Tamara :)

• says

Thanks Tamara, hope your sewing goes well, I’m a novice sewer also, and love sewing bags because they’re pretty easy.

8. roslyn says

I need to know how to do as sew margaret bag. I still have patterns but no directions tht I need to know abt it. Pls let me know abt it. Thank you roslyn

9. says

All the bags are just beatuiful and thank U so much for sharing this with us who needs a lot of help trying to learn to sew on the internet! I have also Pinterest this.

10. says

Thanks Ellen! Ah Pinterest, I spend too much time on Pinterest :)

I hope your sewing adventures go well. As a beginner myself, I find bags are a great project to sew. Very satisfying.

11. says

This is just such a neat collection..you sure must have put some time in for this… will try to make atleast a couple of these adorable bags…

12. says

I am always looking for new ideas for my next projects. I found the bag projects posted here very interesting and I am going to use one right away!Very cute and practical! Thank you very much for sharing.

13. Don says

Greetings from South Africa, I am a 54 year old male who enjoys to sew. I have created my own version of the “shopping bag” simply because I HATE plastic bags.

I am certainly going to try and create some of your bags the instructions are clear and simple.

I have found your blog most helpful indeed.

Best regards.

14. Mairead says

Whoa, perfect! I was looking for project bag ideas and ways to use up (okay, I lie — for excuses to buy) fat quarters. Thanks so much for doing all the legwork. This must have been a pain to compile, but what an awesome resource.

(And as a bonus, I have a new blog to read while pretending to work tomorrow! Sweet!)

• says

I’ve had a look and from what I can see the tutorial has been moved. I’m afraid I have no control over other sites – I recommend that you contact the owner of the blog Lola…again.

15. Regina says

Hi there..just want to say thanks! I’m enjoying this.
    Just a tip..the Oragami purse (when you click- it’s nothing but spam)
    Regards:)

Trackbacks

1. […] Frugal and Thriving scoured the internets and found 45 of some of the best diy bag tutorials out there. Choose from big bags and little bags, grocery store bags and cosmetic bags and everything in between. Some of my favs….the reversible beach bag pictured above and the little boxy pouch below, which is just too cute! See the other 43 offerings here.  […]

2. […] 45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials | frugalandthriving.com.au – StumbleUpon Total beginners drawstring bag, but a functional bag for any skill level. Makes a great gift bag. Can also be lined. Ultimate nappy bag made using a quilter’s charm pack and layer pack. […]

3. […] I’m kicking off a new type of article for Frugal and Thriving – I’ve been around the web and back again to compile some of the best free online tutorials and resources for a given category – today: making bags. Both the title and the picture are links to the tutorial. 45 Awesome Free Bag Making Tutorials | frugalandthriving.com.au […]

4. […] pincushion, cushion cover, apron, simple elasticised skirt, shirred dress, a bunting and how about this list of 45 bag tutorials! There are so many free resources on the net it’s a great place to start. […]